Local Body Coordination and Outreach Management Sub-Component
Drawing from the lessons of the first year of implementing NRREP, a need to strengthen the focus on outreach to aid expansion of renewable energy technologies has been realized by the programme. In order to reinforce this focus, a dedicated sub-component for managing the outreach (through DDC and RSC in particular) has been established on September 2013 by the Programme Steering Committee, the apex body for decision-making in NRREP and named it Local Body Coordination and Outreach Management Sub-Component (in short Outreach).
The major responsibility of Outreach SC is to establish and strengthen institutional set up of DEECCS (previously DEEU/S) and RSCs by enhancement of their capabilities, collaborate with local governance bodies (DDC, VDC and municipalities) and other related stakeholders to make use of their existing institutional mechanism and program to enhance the livelihood of the rural and remote people though intervention of renewable energy services. In this context, ownership, harmonization, synergy, result for monitoring and alignment are most crucial elements of the coordination and make the clarity on roles and responsibility of all stakeholders.
Specific objective of Outreach is management of output 2.15 and 2.16 of NRREP.
• Output 2.15:DEESs become an integral part of DDCs and work to establish linkages between the AEPC and the needs of the rural population whilst promoting the interests of women and marginalised groups.
• Output 2.16:RSCs are contracted and their capacity enhanced to facilitate the delivery of RE services and promote linkages at a local level as a resource of the AEPC.
Strategies adopted by the Outreach SC are:
- Decentralize RET services through MoFALD, DDC, municipality and VDC
- Institutionalize, strengthen and operationalize RSCs and DEECC section/DDC.
- Collaboration and coordination with RSCs, DEECCS/DDC and Private sectors to extend RET services
- Promotion of result based/ GESI responsive planning and budgeting
- Capacity Building of RSC and DEECCS to manage the RET services delivery effectively
- Facilitate to promote RET services through different means and mode
- Play catalytic role between internal (Components and technical sub-components) and external outreach actors, only for non technical issues
Major Achievements (as of November, 2014)
- Signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with all District Development Committee (DDC) for RET related programs implementation.
- Supported to endorse Environment Friendly Local Governance Framework, 2070 and establishment of DEECCS under DDC structure.
- Prepared Operational Guideline for DEECCS, 2013 for its operationalisation. DEECCS is functioning smoothly to implement RET through the DDC.
- Outreach SC has been facilitating on Annual planning process of both RSC & DEECCS. Further it has been supporting to disburse budgets by compiling AWP. It has also supporting for RSC and DEECCS report (trimester and annual) compilation and facilitate for Random Sample Monitoring (RSM) through DEECCS.
- Outreach SC has been facilitating the management, administration and financial part of all RSCs and DEECCS in a coordinated ways that other components and technical subcomponents has able to be concentrated their work explicitly in technical aspects to deliver the services through RSCs and DEECCS. The efforts have shown the remarkable physical progress in Mini/micro hydro, 2013/14.
- With the collaborative efforts of outreach SC; DDCs has declared many VDCs as indoor Air Pollution (IAP) free in support to Government of Nepal campaign 'Clean Cooking and Lighting solution for all by 2017'.
- With coordination of RSCs and DEECCs, some of the VDCs have declared as the model village of RETs such as biogas village (Bharatpokhari VDC of Kaski district) and Clean energy village (Gogane VDC of Makawanpur).
- With the continuous advocacy, lobby and follow up of Outreach SC, Renewable Energy issues (7 tables) are incorporated in MoFALD, Local Bodies Planning Guideline, 2071.
- Outreach SC has initiated to establish functional linkage between RSCs, DDCs and other stakeholders.
- Facilitated to comply all RSC to prepare and follow administration and finance guideline, anti corruption policies, adminstrative guideline.
|1||Laxman Ghimire||Program Manager|
|2||Laxman Punjali||Program Officer|
For details please Click Here