Improved Cooking Stoves
Types of Improved Cook Stoves
Several types of ICS and IICS are now available in Nepal. Among these the most common are the mud-brick which are simple, low cost and can be built by using locally available materials. Various models of mud-brick ICS have been developed and promoted in Nepal. Among these, the two pothole stove and tagari rocket stove are the most popular.
Metal Stoves and Gasifiers have also been introduced and are gaining popularity. These stoves are generally more efficient but comparatively more expensive than mud-brick ICS. The metal stove can be useful where space heating is also required.
Benefits of Improved Cooking Stoves
- Fuel wood consumption reduced by about half.
- 30 to 90 percent reduction in indoor air pollution.
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by about 2.5 ton CO2 per year stove
- Fewer respiratory disease, particularly lower respiratory infections such as pneumonia among children and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) among women.
- Fewer eye problems as well as other health problems such as headaches.
- Reduced fire hazard in the kitchen.
- Reduced drudgery of women as they spend less time collecting fuel wood, cooking and washing dishes.
- Improved Health of women due to reduced exposure to smoke.
- Increased participation by men in kitchen work because of clean environment.