Micro hydro shall be understood as hydroelectric generating units with capacities ranging above 10 to 100 kW. Micro-hydro has the potential to be a major source of energy for rural areas. Water is plentiful in the rugged hills of Nepal and micro-hydro provides a more practical and cost effective alternative to the national grid. Micro hydro consists of following activities:
- Develop and promote the use of micro-hydro technology.
- Carry out surveys and feasibility studies for micro-hydro projects.
- Provide services to support the sustainable development of micro-hydro projects in Nepal.
- Conduct training for micro-hydro users and service providers.
- Work to establish local support structures for mini-grid electrification.
- Provide quality control services for micro-hydro equipment.